Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to Content

Carbon Monoxide Alarms


Parry Sound Fire Hall

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas you can't see, taste, or smell. CO is created when fuels such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane don't burn properly. Vehicles, generators, or propane coolers running in an attached garage, near a window, door, in your home, car or camper trailer can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which can be deadly.

What is the danger?

  • CO enters your body as you breathe.
  • CO poisoning can be confused with the flu, food poisoning, and other illnesses. Symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness, and shortness of breath.
  • A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a long period of time or a large amount of CO over a short period of time.

How can we protect ourselves?

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm. One outside your sleeping areas and one by each fueled fired appliance according to manufacturer recommendations.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, move outdoors or by an open window or door. Account for everyone in the home.
  • Call 9-1-1 or the fire department from the fresh-air location. Remain at the fresh-air location until emergency personnel arrive to help you.
  • If the alarm's trouble signal sounds. Check for low batteries.
  • Reduce the carbon monoxide risk by having your fuel-burning equipment inspected by a professional every year.