Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to Content

Marriage Licence


Town of Parry Sound Municipal Office sign

During this time of COVID-19, we are still available to issue marriage licences; however, appointments are necessary. Please call the office to book a convenient time.

To be married in the Province of Ontario you must first get a Marriage Licence. To apply in Parry Sound, complete the application form and see the marriage licence requirements below.

Application Form

When filling in the marriage licence application remember the following:

  • Enter all legal names: last, first and middle.
  • Both persons must fill in the marriage licence application and sign the form.
  • Further information on identification needed and previous divorce is included in the link below.

A marriage licence is good for a ceremony anywhere in the Province of Ontario and it is good for up to 90 days.

The cost of a marriage licence is $154.00 (As of January 1, 2021)

See Town of Parry Sound Marriage Licence Requirements for full details.

Marriage after Divorce

If you were divorced in Canada, you must bring the original or court-certified copy (photocopies not accepted) of your Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute. You can get a certified copy of your Certificate of Divorce from the court office that granted the divorce. Please note that you may not use a Judgment or Divorce Order issued by the court as proof of divorce.

If you were divorced in another country, or your marriage dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, the following additional form is required:

Note: You must send the filled out forms to the Office of the Registrar General, 189 Red River Road, PO Box 4600, Thunder Bay, On P7B 6L8. This may take up to 4 weeks to approve. You must get the approval from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence may be issued.

Marriage outside of Ontario

Your marriage is not registered in Ontario if it took place outside of the province. Your marriage will be recorded in the area or country where the marriage licence was issued. If you need a marriage certificate to prove you were married you will have to contact the office that issued your licence. The Office of the Registrar General located in Thunder Bay will not have any record of the marriage.

Marriage Certificate

You can apply for a marriage certificate 6 to 8 weeks after your wedding. You must send your application form to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay and it may take several weeks to get back by mail.

You may also apply online at ServiceOntario.

Civil Ceremony

The Town of Parry Sound does not perform civil marriages at the town office.