Only working smoke alarms can save your life!!
Every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas.
It's the Law!!
- It is the responsibility of homeowners to install and maintain smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside sleeping areas.
- It is the responsibility of the landlords to ensure their rental properties comply with the law.
- If you are a tenant of a rental property and do not have the required number of smoke alarms contact your landlord immediately.
- It is against the law for tenants to remove the batteries or tamper with the alarm in any way. It is every ones responsibility to make sure you have a working smoke alarm.
- A tenant should test their smoke alarms monthly.
- If your smoke alarm fails please contact your landlord right away and have it replaced or the batteries changed.
Failure to comply with the fire code smoke alarm requirements could result in a ticket for $235.00 or a fine of up to $50,000.00 for individuals, $100,000.00 for corporations or up to 1 year of imprisonment or both.
- When installing smoke alarms, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for information about correct placement.
- Test your smoke alarms every month using the test button.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year, and whenever the low-battery warning chirps.
- Smoke alarms don't last forever. Replace smoke alarms with new ones if they are more than ten years old.
Town of Parry Sound
52 Seguin Street
Parry Sound, ON P2A 1B4
T. (705) 746-2101
F. (705) 746-7461
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM ET
Closed on statutory holidays