Skip to main content Skip to footer




Marriage Licence

To have a marriage license issued in the Town of Parry Sound an appointment is necessary. Please call the office to book a convenient time. 705 746-2101 ext. 214

To be married in the Province of Ontario you must first get a Marriage Licence. To apply in Parry Sound, complete the application form and see the marriage licence requirements below.

Application Form

When filling in the marriage licence application remember the following:

  • Enter all legal names: last, first and middle.
  • Both persons must fill in the marriage licence application and sign the form.
  • Further information on identification needed and previous divorce is included in the link below.

A marriage licence may be used for a ceremony anywhere in the Province of Ontario and it is valid for up to 90 days.

The cost of a marriage licence is $179.00 (As of January 1, 2024)

See Town of Parry Sound Marriage Licence Requirements for full details.

Marriage after Divorce

If you were divorced in Canada, you must bring official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or court-certified copy of one of three documents: the final decree; the final judgment; a certificate of divorce.

If you were divorced in another country, or your marriage dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, the following are required to be sent for approval:

  • The completed marriage licence application, signed by both parties
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce, signed by both applicants and a witness
  • An original, court certified copy or photocopy of the divorce decree or annulment, certified by the proper court office in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted. If in a language other than English or France as translation with an affidavit sworn by the translator.
  • The legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, stating that the divorce would be recognized as valid in the province of Ontario and giving reasons why it should be recognized in Ontario. Sample lawyer letters are available by calling 1-800-461-2156

Note: You must send the completed forms to the Office of the Registrar General, 189 Red River Road, PO Box 4600, Thunder Bay, On P7B 6L8. This may take up to 4 weeks to approve. You will receive an approval letter from the Office of the Registrar General to present to the municipality to then have a marriage license may be issued.

Marriage outside of Ontario

Your marriage is not registered in Ontario if it took place outside of the province. Your marriage will be recorded in the area or country where the marriage license was issued. If you need a marriage certificate to prove you were married you will have to contact the office that issued your license. The Office of the Registrar General located in Thunder Bay will not have any record of the marriage.

Marriage Certificate

You can apply for a marriage certificate 6 to 8 weeks after your wedding. You must send your application form to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay and it may take several weeks to get back by mail.

You may also apply online at ServiceOntario.

Civil Ceremony

The Town of Parry Sound does not perform civil marriages at the town office.