- Single detached dwellings in the R1, R2, RR or RU zone.
- Minimum 0.11 acres size property.
- Setback 3 meters from all property lines.
- Minimum 20 meters from any waterbody.
- In a rear yard or interior side yard.
The Town of Parry Sound passed the Backyard Hen By-law 2021-7164 on September 10, 2021. Residents are now able to keep backyard hens if they meet the requirements of the by-law.
- Maximum 6 hens, no roosters, we suggest at least 2 as they are social creatures.
- Hens must be 4 months of age or older, prior to that age you are unable to determine if a chick is a hen or a rooster.
- Hens must be kept contained and not be allowed to run loose.
- Hens can only be kept for personal use, no sale of eggs etc.
- It is recommended that you acquire a veterinarian who is knowledgeable about hens prior to purchasing them so that you have a contact in case of illness.
Building Your Coop and Enclosure
- Coop has a maximum height of 3 meters.
- Coop must be enclosed on all sides with a roof and door.
- Coop must include perches for each hen and nesting boxes.
- Coop to be maintained in good repair, clean, dry, odour free, free from vermin, and impervious to wildlife and other animals.
- Provide a minimum of 0.37 square meters of indoor floor space per hen and 0.92 square meters of outdoor space per hen.
- Outdoor enclosure must be fully enclosed to prevent hens from escaping.
Prior to purchasing your hens please ensure that you complete the application and can meet all of the requirements outlined in the application and in accordance with the Town of Parry Sound Backyard Hen By-law 2021-7164. Applications can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Town office at 52 Seguin Street. The licensing fee is due once an inspection has taken place and the application has been approved.
All applicants are required to review the following education materials:
1. "Bird Health Basics Video" and "Bird Health Basics Fact Sheet" by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
2. "Small Flock Poultry: Raising Healthy Birds" by OMAFRA.
3. "Rodent Control in Livestock and Poultry Facilities" by OMAFRA.
4. "Keeping your family healthy with backyard poultry, including chickens and ducklings" by the Ministry of Health.
Town of Parry Sound
52 Seguin Street
Parry Sound, ON P2A 1B4
T. (705) 746-2101
F. (705) 746-7461
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM ET
Closed on statutory holidays